Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Victims to Victory

On February 19, 2010 Playback Memphis performed for Victims to Victory (VTV), a Christian non-profit organization whose mission is to help victims of crime and their families move from crisis to comfort.
When VTV participants were asked how they felt about being part of playback they said:
“I was sad at first. But then I thought how great it was for Victims to Victory to think enough of us to do this.”
“This reminds me of the cohesion I feel for Victims to Victory. How we all continue to come together.”
“I just feel grateful. In October I lost my mom. In November I lost my sister. And the anniversary of the death of my son is in January. This week I lost my grandmother. I’ve just been overwhelmed with grief. I didn’t really give thought about what I was going to get from tonight. I just know I’m tired of putting on a front.”
“When I watch what’s going on in the room and on stage, I think about the news that ran today about Memphis being the third most miserable city in the country. I will not accept that label for my city. The love and spirit that people have here has to say ‘no we do not accept that superficial label.’”
“From the ends of the Earth when I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”
One woman, who shared her story, described herself as being made of bold colors: “Reds, blues, sunshine, and light. I’m not beige or neutral. I’m here, you KNOW I’M HERE.” Her son was murdered six years prior, when he was 24. She thinks of him and is reminded of a song: Sweet little Jesus boy/We didn’t know who you are. “I think of my son as a baby. Not the adult who was murdered. I think of the person who murdered him and I think: you didn’t know who he is. The world is missing something.”
After telling their stories, VTV members (like all Playback audiences) saw their stories acted out, saw themselves and their families replaced by actors, and in this way, they were removed from their stories; reminded that there is the crime, there is the mistake, the injustice, the victim—and beside all that there is the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment